Friday 6 January 2012

The declutter begins

My drive to attain less is more and clear my credit card debt has started in earnest. I culled my wardrobe and this includes designer items. It was cathartic and hard at the same time. My rational is I cannot stand items languishing idly in my wardrobe and I have just got to get rid. There is no point telling myself, any more, that I might wear that French Connection dress from 2001 again. I will never wear any of the items I'm ebaying ever again. I have neither the lifestyle, wit or priorities to store the items or keep them. It seems I need to be free of clutter. It is hard to part with items because for some unknown reason I attach emotion to them so I have to harden my ways!




Since cutting back my work and focussing on the safe deposit of the petit garcon at school on a daily basis my clothing requirements have changed. I still dress up more than most but I don't have the variety or daily need to change outfits a lot. I'm choosing to style myself in a more simple understated way (I hope!). The idea is it will be more style less fashion and ultimately a cheaper way to dress. I have always been a performer when it comes to clothes. I've never been one for a simple elegant look unless I feel like it. I don't feel I'm losing my love of clothes but I am opting out of being a fashion magpie. It was with dread I received my Vogue & Harpers subscription magazines not because I don't like them but I will succumb to the newness of it all. My head will be filled with fashion flights of fantasy but for a change I will ignore it all.

Over the next few days my eBay listing will continue and then after clothes it will be the house. The decluttering is a month long commitment - yikes!


9 comments:

  1. I have set myself a challenge not to buy any new clothes this year just to make do with what i have already .. which is plenty. I feel it also makes you look at what you have with new eyes and wear your favorites more often. Lets see how I do ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wildernesschic - good luck with that! I could take that approach but I really need to clear my credit card and having thought long and hard I can do it! Clothes be gone xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the shoe size of a midget - why can't the tan shoes be in canoe size 8? Damn my boat feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s so hard to get rid of items that have great memories attached to them, but it’s also really therapeutic to clear your wardrobe of items that you know you’re not going to wear again. Just think you’re giving someone else the chance to add some unforgettable memories to your much loved clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the exact same today! Sorted out my eBay/Charity shop haul...

    I realised that I only actually wear 30% of my wardrobe. Ooops!

    Jen X
    http://kitsch-n-sync.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! It feels so good to have a proper declutter. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a huge sort out and made quite a profit on eBay. Unfortunately I've already spent it all on new clothes from eBay. But i see it as swapping so it's not so bad. For me anyway. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire what you're doing, Kate. I hope you're enjoying this process.

    I, too, attach emotion to clothes, but I find that the pain of donating is trumped by the relief of knowing they're gone and unable to mock me from the racks where they hang, unworn. You'll feel that joy too. It just takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So annoying that your feet are tiny - grrr

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx