Wednesday 23 June 2010

Project 100 - top tops

Well wasn't that Mr Osbourne a bundle of fun with his 20%VAT rise for January 2011 in the UK. Forward planning is the order of the day because if that doesn't kill a fair few shopping habits I don't know what else will. It means every purchase will have to be key.

Project 100 helps to give you a basis to make those decisions and today is all about tops.Often the icing on the cake - a top needs to balance or accentuate a look, depending on the image to be created. A top will make or break a look. I've selected tops on the basis of capsule, adding drama and detail.

All examples are, just that, examples. I often select designer to show cut and design (and they are better images). These influence the high street and you can always source a similar item within your budget. You'll always find the equivalent in my Saturday' High St Pick of the Week post.


1. The White Shirt - you knew I was going to say this! I know I couldn't survive without one but for some of you, you will have a basic that is your white shirt. When I say white shirt I do imagine some detail whether it is the quality of the cotton, the collar or cuff or that it is all lace. I found the perfect white shirt dress in TK Maxx last week for £39.99 - a DKNY jeans number I intend to wear it to a book launch.

2. The t-shirt - there has to be one. Mine is a grey Top Gun t-shirt. I love it. It says Maverick on the back. For one of my friends it is her Clash t-shirt and another has the most beaten up t-shirt from Greece that looks wonderful because she wears it with attitude. Don't go all Balmain on me with a designer number get something that means something to you.


3. The going out top for jeans
- you know the score something sparkly, you need sparkle in the night lights.


4. The easy breezy day top for jeans - I miss watching Americas Next Top Model. I used to be a firm follower but as with anything formulaic you drop it at some point. My favourite task was the Cover Girl commercial when they had to say 'easy breezy' oh the tears! This top is a great example of an easy top to throw on for no effort styling.



5. The Jumper & 6. The Cardigan - do I really have to give an explanation? Useful, necessary and not exciting. These two items will hardly light up your fashion credentials but where would you be without them. I always think Coco Chanel, the Duchess of Windsor and Nancy Mitford when I wear such items or even Kate Moss. Attitude and spirit to dress up the basics.

7. The Blouse - a wondrous item that can change an outfit in an instance. I love to use a blouse to make me look either Park Lane Princess or a de-constructed rock chic - bed head hair, skinnies and boots with black nails, heavy eye make up and... a blouse. I like to think of blouses as subversive.



8. The Fab Top - the top you love that is nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with your personality. It is a top you buy and just love. It makes you feel good. If you haven't got one find something that fits the bill.




9. The Waistcoat/Gilet - Sometimes an outfit won't work without a bit extra. It either requires a bit of drapery or some structure. I like both but sometimes the structured waistcoat can harden a look and whilst that works for editorial in real life yo might want to convey a softer image. You can't beat All Saints for a bit of drapery that is more from the Maison Martin Margiela than middle of the road.

10. Striped Sailor Top - Come on did you think there wouldn't be a mention of a stripy top. Think Seberg, Bardot, Gaultier - go and watch Breathless and then nip out and get one.

18 comments:

  1. I remember that 'easy breezy' ANTM episode! God, I used to be addicted to the reruns on living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on me - I don't own a single blouse. I adore that Chloe one but eek, it's far out of my price range. I wonder if I could find anything approaching it on the high street?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I do like a white shirt too. Good tips for our future. Thank you Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have lots of tops on your list. Does this mean I can go shopping?;-)
    p.s. Thanks so much for your tech help. I am still working on a fix.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing about the bloody budget! Unbelieveable, stupid twats how dare they treat us shopoholics that way!
    I love the Blouse then I saw the price, why do I always like the expensive stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Fab - I know that blouse is gorgeous but v.expensive. Don't worry Topshop or Zara will do a homage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am now very tempted to go and check out the All Saints sale... Ah well, someone's got to keep the economy going right? And I really like the Paul & Joe top you feature. Perfect summer top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two white wrap blouses and they really are the easiest thing to throw on for every occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blouse is gorgeous. Can't seem to do the white shirt myself, but maybe I'll try again ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was just in AllSaints for the first time today...they really do have some great drape-y tops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kate, great picks and advice as always. Of course I'm drawn to the sequins... I cracked up at the 'easy breezy' bit in ATM. Genius. I love all those shows xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great way of cetegorizing the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eek! I don't think I have an 'easy breezy' top. What would Tyra say???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous post!
    Especially loving #3!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. You put the stripy top, last on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the top from all saints!
    xoxo

    http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/
    http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. You called my attention for something I had never thought about. Thank you for that!!!

    Hope you're having a fantastic weekend

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chloe is really killing it on the blouse front. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx