Tuesday 1 July 2008



Last week, UK Grazia did a hilarious little piece about unanswered questions in SATC: The Movie. My favourite was why had Harry become almost mute, followed by why did Stamford and Anthony kiss at New Year’s Eve?

The one question they didn’t ask was why hadn’t Carrie got herself a pair of glasses if she couldn’t see without them? Now, it was a sweet scene of her in bed borrowing Big’s pair but surely a successful forty something girl would have her own.

There is a fashion for frames and many a person has taken to pretending their need glasses for a geek chic look. WendyB of Wendy Brandes Jewelry posted a gorgeous cat like pair she’s sourced for someone.


Upon further investigation into this matter I worked out why Carrie hadn’t gotten around to buying a pair – it would eat into her shoe budget. The cost of investing in glasses that look good is enormous. You need a few pairs for working with different outfits. Then there is the awful fact of do you suit glasses. Now I do not. I have proven this on several occasions to hoots of derision. I suit a nice pair of sunnies but put me in spectacles and well geek chic it ain’t.

Luckily I don’t need to wear a pair yet but I’m undertaking forward planning now and have realised that in order to preserve the shoe budget, still look ok and be able to see, it’s got to be contact lenses. So, to help Carrie and myself I’ve sourced a useful site called lensshopper.com. It does all the work and has a host of information I hadn’t even thought about – like contacts with UVA and UVB protection!


I know lots of you will have views on contacts but in short I’m too vain to look bad in glasses and I don’t have Patricia Field on speed dial to make me look good if I did wear them. I’ve added a new column to my spreadsheet to budget for contacts and if I don’t call upon the services of LensShopper in the next 12 months, I’ll be buying those Manolo’s I’ve been eying up ever since seeing the movie.

11 comments:

  1. Wow-what a good idea!! Whats the betting the manolos will win over in 12 months-haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i have major eye issues im planning a trip back to oz in Aug and with my private health care down there plan on decking myself out in new frames and prescription sunnies. Shoes V Vision... its a tough one. xf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my contact lenses, but I'm usually too lazy to put them in, luckily I also own about 8 different pairs of glasses. Damn, when I think of the shoes I could have bought with that money....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Grazia questions annoyed me because I saw it for the second time the day after reading it and it was all I could think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need glasses too but I'm holding out till I can't see a damn thing. That's why she wouldn't have her own glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still don't "need" them, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I don't relish the thought of glasses; I don't like things on my face all the time. But there's no way I'll be using contacts, because I can't stand anything touching my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure carrie could afford a nice 400$ pair of glasses, she has money! Maybe it was one of the things they over looked in the movie hahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get how big 70s-style sunnies can look cool on anyone but big Diedre Barlow specs just look wrong? What is it about the dark lenses that make sunnies look OK but nor fashiony specs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your discussion of glasses, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow those lensshopper guys are working hard eh? they've emailed me at least 5 times.

    i'm hopefully making my way to slowly getting pat field on my speed dial. haha. at least i'm going to her next bbq this july 4th. can't wait to party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. no matter which styles come and go as far as footwear, these manolos are sure to make an impact for a long, long time. love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx