Tuesday 8 July 2008

Girlynomics

I was so proud of myself today when I went to the library and managed to snag two typically 'trashy' holiday books for my forthcoming vacation.

Chasing Harry Winston:Lauren Weisberger and
Celebutantes: Ruthanna Hopper & Amanda Goldberg.

Having saved my purse the princely sum of £13.98, I fell into a girlynomics trap. What is a girlynomics trap - well it's that rationale that defies the considered economic minds such as John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman.
It's the place in your mind that considers the wonderful savings made and instead of a good old pat on the back, a light comes on that gives you permission to spend said savings.
Normally I stay with the smug savings feeling but today I had time on my hands whilst waiting to pick up shoes from cobbler. That time lead me to just pop into TK Maxx and just happen to perchance upon a Vera Wang navy blue dress and just happen to purchase said item for £16.99.

It is technically a size too big but again it sort of works anyway as it doesn't need to be tight - ok I'll stop there and just admit to giddiness and delight at finding said item. I cycled to town and back saving a further £2.20 in bus tickets, so in girlynomics world the dress actually cost 81p - bargain!

13 comments:

  1. wow, I can't believe you found that at tjmaxx! congrats! (along with the girlynomics thing, it's absolutely absurd that I regularly congratulate people for purchasing things. What can I say, I'm an avid consumer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-what will us girls say and do to justify a bargain-haha!! I love the dress-an excellent find!! I've come up with an alternative to the girlynomics trap-I now ask myself do I want £XX in my purse OR the item and so far it's been working! This is still a new theory in progress, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing and am so happy to have come across your site! I do this exact same thing - girlynomics :)

    Would you like to exchange links?

    Grayburn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How strange, I nearly brought that dress last week!
    And I just read Chasing Harry Winston, I think it is better than The Devil Wears Prada, as a book I didn't enjoy it, and I even read it before the wonderful film!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't COUNT the number of times I've made that mental bargain with myself. Fuzzy logic and goofy math, both of which explain my meager savings account! I'm gonna give Sharon Rose's suggestion a whirl. Maybe replacing one mental bargain with another is the way to go ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect Rationalization technique, Kate! Well done. I really do love your writing.

    It's a beautiful dress, and I'm happy for you.

    Oh, and we have a store here called TJ Maxx. ;) It's the same thing, just with a "J."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girlynomics - that's the justification I've been searching for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the sort of intellectual back up I need for a lot of my purchases....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you serious? A Vera Wang dress at TK Maxx....and for that price??? That's amazing!! Maybe I should go to my local branch for a massive browse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, the "girlynomics" bit is hilarious. And sadly true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fab are you to find such a fantastic detail and to utilize the true properties of girlynomics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried that same dress on in TK Maxx the other day. A size too big for me too, so I decided to let my head rule. I couldn't remember if Simply Vera was diffusion or the Kohls line, either. Turns out it's the Kohls one, but £17 is still a serious bargain! I'm glad someone else discovered it. I really wanted it to look nice but the elastic bit was all wrong on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!! What a bargain! I'm jealous! Navy too - brill. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx