Wednesday 11 June 2008

Purse string perfect

Whilst I'm not quite brave enough to abstain from spending any money on clothing for a period of time i.e. one year or six months, I do set budgets. The budget for clothes etc. this month is zero, as it is for next month. This is due to an overspend last month. If I have an overspend that means something went on the credit card so I must pay it off first.

I'm quite miserly with my credit card it has a limit of £1000, and the only reason it isn't lower is because they won't do less than the limit I have. I'd have to go on some credit card which was for people who couldn't be trusted with their money due to bad debts, (hello - why do you think low limits are good!) and pay very high monthly interest.

On my wish list is a new bikini top and a pair of fit flops (yes I know style wise hideous, but it might help to keep pin perfect, I figured they'd useful for in betwen places and nursery jaunts).

In a complete grown up fashion I've hidden my credit card (well hubbie has) until then end of the month. I've allocatted myself some cash for the next few weeks and have a zip purse which has enough room for coins and notes - no cards.

7 comments:

  1. Best of luck with being good-maybe you could get your bikini from somewhere like Primark (pay with cash) and some magazines are doing freebie flip flops!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just got my fitflops though the post! I'll keep you posted on if they work!! (I think you've actually got to wear them for them to work too - I don't think they work in the box!!) My hubbie showed them to a physio - who was impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cash-only spending is an interesting and proven concept. This type of spending seems more 'real' than credit, which is like spending imaginary money. You see the real stuff slip out of your billfold quickly, and it's a sobering sight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hide my credit card, but all the stores online already have my number:) It's really hard managing money, because for me I was raised to have a bit of a strange relationship to money and consumer goods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep seeing really nice bikinis and wanting to buy them but I have so many I don't see the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how comical that your husband hid your credit card! while i might not go to such drastic levels, i feel like if i took out a certain amount of money each week and kept it in a little coin purse, i might refrain from whipping out that dangerous credit card so frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for being so disciplined with your budget and credit card. There will always be bikini tops to buy, but to be debt free thats a much better feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx