Thursday 24 January 2008

Listmania

Quite a few people have emailed of late after reading my book and queried my wardrobe lists!
The point of contention is the specified work outfits.
When I compiled the wardrobe list for work items in Winter or Summer, I had a typical person in mind, principally an office worker in a town/city. The typical person also tended to work in a school, customer services or as a receptionist at a GP surgery, for example - these are all just examples!!

I wanted to get the reader to plan a smart working wardrobe. The clothes for work were entirely separate to clothes they wore in a informal/weekend/going out context.
And yes I'm all for people dressing properly for work and if I had my way would ban dress down days. This is a reaction to number of years of working with engineers mainly sporting fleeces. They thought I was a brand/marketing luvvie, one down from fashion police. Enough asides....

The point of wardrobe lists is to provide a structure to stop over spending, keep you on track with your budget and to have a wardrobe of items you can mix and match.
So those of you who've got the book and don't want to wear shirts to work that's fine. Just choose tops instead but stick to same amount and make sure they work with your other items.
The same is true for those of you who work in environments which are more creative/casual. Plan your wardrobe accordingly and enjoy the freedom this work environement affords but still try to make the effort to dress up. If you need help Mrs Fashion's blog (working 9 - 5) puts together some great outfits you could copy but perhaps limit net-a-porter to a treat! Once I've mastered this blogging malarkey I might be able to help too!!
Adapt the lists accordingly to your needs and your budget - but don't lose sight that less is more when planned and executed well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx